Monday, March 28, 2011

Emma Watson: Got the pixie cut for a movie role?

When Emma’s Pixie haircut finally made the media it was speculated she did this for a movie role. Emma Watson said the reason why she got her haircut was because she wanted to do it since she was sixteen. That was her original excuse. The real reason may be she auditioned for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It's a movie about a rape victim. Click link and the story will come up. The lisped character is a Goth chick with really short spiked hair. She was listed as one of the actress considered.

What makes me wonder if there is any credibility to this is not when these reports came out? It was looking over Emma’s many reasons to as why she got the hair cut. You will see them below. Her original reason was she wanted to do this since she was sixteen. She said nothing else. The next one was because he mom has the same haircut. The one after that it down playing it saying all it is was a haircut. The last few are her turning this into a huge life change. Would you not think the original reason was enough and there was no more need to elaborate?

From imdb.com, "Was in consideration for the role of Lisbeth Salander in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011), but Rooney Mara was cast instead."

From metro.co.uk/ August 2010 “The Sun reported that the 20-year-old Emma Watson auditioned with director David Fincher for the part of computer hacker Lisbeth. "The character of Lisbeth is a misfit goth-type girl with spiky hair," a source pointed out to the newspaper.”
From screenteamshow.com August 2010, "EMMA WATSON’s dodgy new barnet is more than a ropey fashion statement – it’s an attempt to land the biggest vacant role in Hollywood. The actress is screen-testing for the lead in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, based on the best-selling STIEG LARSSON novel. And just like her Harry Potter character Hermione Granger, she’s leaving nothing to chance to land the gig as computer hacker Lisbeth Salander. And a movie insider said: "Emma has auditioned with director DAVID FINCHER and cut her hair to look the part. "The character of Lisbeth is a misfit goth-type girl with spikey hair." The role of Lisbeth is the biggest female role on offer in Hollywood at the moment. Whoever gets the part will be contracted to three films. So I can see why Emma’s pulled out all the stops to try and bag it. For posh Emma it would be a big contrast to straight-laced Hermione. Salander ends up in some outrageous sex scenes with men and women, including a graphic and violent bedroom scene. Emma, who is studying at Brown University in America, faces serious competition for the coveted role though. Other actresses linked to the part include ELLEN PAGE, NATALIE PORTMAN, CAREY MULLIGAN and KRISTEN STEWART"



From stylenews.peoplestylewatch.com August 2010 Emma Watson may have credited her dramataic pixie cut to the end of the Harry Potter series, but now it seems that her freshly shaven do might in fact be for a new movie role. According to British paper The Sun, Watson is up for the coveted role of Lisbeth Salander in the much-anticipated movie The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, based on the best-selling novel by Stieg Larsson. 

From ok.co.uk/celebnews  She posted on her blog: "Cut my hair off a few days ago... Feels incredible. I love it. I've wanted to do this for years and years; it's the most liberating thing ever. Hope you like it. Big love from Emma x" But apparently Emma didn't just 'fancy a change', the actress is gunning for the part of computer hacker Lisbeth Salander in the big screen adaptation of Stieg Larsson's best-selling novel. A source said: "Emma has auditioned with director David Fincher and cut her hair to look the part. The character of Lisbeth is a misfit with spikey hair." The part of Lisbeth is one of the biggest female roles in Hollywood at the moment and whoever gets it will be contracted to three films and star alongside Daniel Craig, who will play journalist Mikael Blomkvist. From nydailynews.com Feb 2011 "Actress Emma Watson might love her short, pixie hairdo, but she fears Hollywood does not. Watson said she's trying to grow her locks back quickly so she will be considered for more acting roles, according to PeopleStylewatch. "I am trying to grow it, but it's slow, it's taking a while obviously. If I want to keep acting, then it's more flexible for me to have it longer for different roles."
Here is her hair in the left photo after the orginal cut and you notice it is much longer than the above photo. So obviously she had it chopped off some more if you look at the right photo.

  
For the record on June 25th 2010 she had full hair at Glastonbury Music festival with George Craig.

From usmagazine.com  EXCUSE #1  (Aug 5th 2010)  "Oh my God, it was the most liberating thing!" she tells EW.com. "The stylist just grabbed the back of my hair and took a whole ponytail of hair out. It felt amazing. I love it. I missed all that experimentation that most teenagers go through," she says. "I've wanted to do this since I was about 16, so as soon as I had the chance I was like, ‘Right. This is it.’” (It's your hair) EXCUSE #2 (Nov 17th 2010) "My mother has this haircut and this has been her signature look since she was, like, 16. I just always thought it was really cool and wanted to try it," Watson recently told MTV News. (Nothing wrong with that but what daughter wants to get a haircut like her mom?) From iheartwatson.net Sunday Times: EXCUSE #3 (November 2010) “I haven’t been able to change my hair for 10 years and I wanted to do something to make entering a new phase of my life. Some people don’t like it, they think it’s an outward expression of my inner torment, my Britney Spears moment. Honestly! I just had a haircut.” (Umm but I thought it was about experimenting and you thought it would be cool to look like your mom but ok it's your hair)
From vogue.co.uk  Excuse #4 (December 2010) "For nine years I was contractually obligated not to cut my hair, not to tan. All the normal things girls do" (What? I thought you said?) From iheartwatson.net From New Zealand Herald Excuse # 5 (November 2010) “I can’t believe the fuss over it,” she giggles. “I did it because I love it and wanted it [like this] for such a long time, but wasn’t allowed to. I guess it’s just my way of trying to get my head around the fact that I’m entering a new phase of my life as me, not Hermione. I was actually beaming when it was cut off, because I’ve spent more than half my life with someone else’s haircut and now I just want to be me and have my hair how I want it,” she adds, smiling. “It’s very liberating; it feels like a fresh start, a new chapter” (maybe because they know the real reason and they're trying to get the real answer?) From snitchseeker.com Remix magazine interview Excuse #6 (March 2011) 'That's why I cut my hair," she reveals. "I'd spend more than half my life being somebody else - with their hairstyle - and I wanted to be Emma and have my hair the way I wanted it. I didn't realise it, at the time, but it was actually incredibly symbolic having all this hair cut off that people so identified with Hermione. It felt great - it was very liberating - like I was shedding that old skin and starting a fresh, new chapter!" (I thought said in excuse #3 she just had a haircut but in excuse  #... oh I'm confused so nevermind)
Now present day March 2011 and Miss Watson says she wants to grow her hair back for movie roles. What is to say she did not cut her hair off because she wanted the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo role? I find it hard to believe for a girl that felt so liberated about a haircut that she sported for 10 years it would only last as long as it did. She wore a wig for her small role in My week with Marlyn that she filmed in Fall 2010.
I find it peculiar she did this at the same time they started calling for auditions for the Lisabeth character. Even more so now that she wants to grow her hair back for movie roles. She said all along she was not going to give up acting so why change the one aspect of yourself that could hurt you from getting movie roles? She may have taken a risk. I think she got stuck with the hair when she did not get the part. That would explain all the different excuses and tweaking of why she did from August 2010 to March 2011. 
 
What do you think? Do you think the real reason she cut her hair was for a movie role? What with all the excuses? The original reason should have been it but she changed it. That's what makes this all stand out for me but who knows.


UPDATE JULY 1ST, 2011. excuse #7,  Fromso-bonnie.net July 1st, 2011, “In the middle of shooting Deathly Hallows, I went out to dinner with Bonnie Wright, and we started talking about how we really needed to do something to mark the end of this important part of our lives…and then I had the thought of cutting my hair. That felt like an appropriate way of saying goodbye to Hermione.”

UPDATE AUGUST 11TH, 2011, From blogs.indiewire.com , “As everyone knows, getting the gig wasn’t a guarantee and though Mara eventually beat out competition which included Sarah Snook, Sophie Lowe, Léa Seydoux, Ellen Page, Natalie Portman, Carey Mulligan, Emma Watson, Mia Wasikowska, Emily Browning, Katie Jarvis and Scarlett Johansson, she was beginning to get a little ticked off at David Fincher for his long decision making process. ““At that point I was just super frustrated. I was like, ‘You have to decide. Either you think I’m the girl or you don’t. There’s not much more I can do to prove it to you.’ I went in there sort of ready to fight. I was pissed,” she told the magazine. “But David sat me down and gave me this long speech about the part. Then he handed me his iPad, and it had the press release on it. He said, ‘I’m prepared to send this out. You have half an hour to let me know if you want the part.’

No comments:

Post a Comment