Let me ask you something. When you feel strongly about a cause do you promote it %50 of the time or all the time? If you believed in global warming would you go out and buy a gas guzzling automobile or settle for a fuel efficient one? Would you speak out against the dangers of smoking but admit ever once in a while you need a drag? Is this not counter-productive in every way?
I dive deeper into Emma's People Tree/fair trade/organic clothing inspirations and aspirations in a blog post from last month HERE. Click on that link and it will put all of this into a better context.
Basically the girl recently won an Elle fashion Icon award and was voted best dressed Brit female. All of this was done while not wearing one piece of fair trade or organic clothing from People Tree or anything from Alberta Ferretti. She does not talk about this cause without her name being put on it as one of the designers or wears them in public but she does wear none-organic.
Here is an interview she did regarding her collaboration with Alberta Ferretti. Where do you get inspiration? "Environmental sustainability and business fair were the slogans with which we began to design the whole collection. Then, of course, is to be romantic, comfortable and close to both my taste and the sensibility of Alberta, who was able to interpret my desires with her incredible taste and with her creativity, without being vulgar." (Not vulgar like Emma's get up HERE or HERE )What is the message you want to convey through this collection? There is nothing better than to dress in organic clothes. Natural, comfortable, sustainable and, perhaps, even more beautiful than those produced with synthetic materials and chemicals." (If emma believe this than why does she not wear these clothes like she does with high end material?)
Your generation, compared to previous ones, are more involved in the case of ecology? "Yes, I am absolutely convinced. And it's a relief: finally - after years of unconsciousness, and even a bit of neglect - we have reached the realization of irreparable damage to the planet, and of mankind. The Earth has limits that must not be exceeded: the resources they need for their life cycle are inviolable. We must sensitize society towards becoming responsible people, who did not ultimately only profit from, but consider its impact on all our futures." (Profit from you say. Well how much does Burberry, Chanel, Calvin Klein and others profit from you product placement clothing and other accessories you wear in just your candid photos alone?)
In addition to (neo) designer, you are a style icon. What are the must-haves of your wardrobe? "My basic wardrobe, unequivocally. Few pants, easy to wear, yet comfortable and stylish. How soft and comfortable flats, or the skinny jeans and any garment of soft and warm cashmere." (This is a load of bunk. She didn't win an icon award for wearing skinny jeans and soft warm cashmere)
If you clicked on my above link HERE that is related to this topic you would have read as to how Emma does more product placement for high end none-organic clothing and accessories with Burberry, Chanel, Calvin Klein and others. As a model she makes more money for the high end big business than she does making a difference in elevating poverty by associating with people tree or being a advocate of the environment with organic clothing. In every essence she is both counter-productive to her cause and a hypocrite. Is it not?
Like with people tree Emma is a consultant with Alberta Ferretti and all that does is give her more credibility in the fashion world of which will never embrace fair trade and organic clothing. As I stated in my opening if you truly believe in a cause you are %100 behind it with no exception. People Tree and organic clothing will not make a difference when it comes to Emma because she does not wear any of it past modeling it for a catalog. How exactly is this solving anything when you do not give the fashion police the ammunition to talk about what you're wearing other than Burberry dresses, other high end and accessories? This is all about Emma learning how to be a designer t one day have a high end fashione line.
Here is a tidbit from my above link with an interview she did about People Tree
From snitchseeker.com (From Dailymail) Jan 1st 2010
What is your favourite part of the collection? "I would wear all the clothes, which are made in Bangladesh, India and Nepal, and there is also some amazing jewellery – especially a necklace made from recycled sweet wrappers, which is made in Bangladesh. It comes in a box also made of sweet wrappers. Brilliant! (This was in jan 2010 and by the end of the year she was named best dressed female Brit)
But do you think it is possible to enjoy high-street fashion and also support fair trade? "It’s important to differentiate between fast fashion, which is made very quickly for a very small price, and fair-trade fashion. So if you buy a T-shirt for £2, you just have to do the maths and work out how much the person who made it is being paid." (You can't have it both ways. Either you are for fair trade or not)
How realistic is it that the Primark generation will buy into this range and concept? "It sounds like a cliché, but we are the future. The earth is ours and will be our children’s, and I think that more than any other generation we are aware of environmental and humanitarian issues. That’s why it’s so great that People Tree is doing something aimed at people of my age – because we do care and we will buy with a conscience. I hope that more companies will follow People Tree’s example." (I'll remember this everytime I see her is leather or fur from Burberry or any other high end clothing line or accessories)
From iheartwatson.net (Interview mag April 2009) “I don’t really buy designer stuff. I have a few nice things, but I don’t really have the occasion to wear couture too often. When I’m in a situation where I do need to dress up, I’m typically lent something—which means I have to give it back at midnight, like Cinderella.” (so I guess she is not counting her candids? Are those borrowed?)
From guestofaguest.com March 26th 2010 "Emma watson took a break from being a normal college student at Brown and filming her final scenes as Hermione Granger to support her fellow Brits last night at Pulino's. "You have to be authentic and true to yourself," she offered to the crowd of emerging British designers. They all gathered to toast the end of the LONDON show ROOMS program." (No calls for going fair trade or organic direction here)Here is a tidbit from my above link with an interview she did about People Tree
From snitchseeker.com (From Dailymail) Jan 1st 2010
What is your favourite part of the collection? "I would wear all the clothes, which are made in Bangladesh, India and Nepal, and there is also some amazing jewellery – especially a necklace made from recycled sweet wrappers, which is made in Bangladesh. It comes in a box also made of sweet wrappers. Brilliant! (This was in jan 2010 and by the end of the year she was named best dressed female Brit)
But do you think it is possible to enjoy high-street fashion and also support fair trade? "It’s important to differentiate between fast fashion, which is made very quickly for a very small price, and fair-trade fashion. So if you buy a T-shirt for £2, you just have to do the maths and work out how much the person who made it is being paid." (You can't have it both ways. Either you are for fair trade or not)
How realistic is it that the Primark generation will buy into this range and concept? "It sounds like a cliché, but we are the future. The earth is ours and will be our children’s, and I think that more than any other generation we are aware of environmental and humanitarian issues. That’s why it’s so great that People Tree is doing something aimed at people of my age – because we do care and we will buy with a conscience. I hope that more companies will follow People Tree’s example." (I'll remember this everytime I see her is leather or fur from Burberry or any other high end clothing line or accessories)
From iheartwatson.net (Interview mag April 2009) “I don’t really buy designer stuff. I have a few nice things, but I don’t really have the occasion to wear couture too often. When I’m in a situation where I do need to dress up, I’m typically lent something—which means I have to give it back at midnight, like Cinderella.” (so I guess she is not counting her candids? Are those borrowed?)
Update June 2011, From dailyrecord.co.uk June 16th, 2011 Her fashion sense has helped her to become the face of Burberry, whose sales have boomed since. She said: "It's a huge compliment. It's amazing. I'm really surprised, to be honest." Emma has also become a designer in her own right, with her own range for fair trade fashion manufacturers. She added: "I love fashion and there are two more collections to come out"
UPDATE JULY 7TH, 2011, From thisislondon.co.uk July 2011, "As for her status as a style icon, she has no further ambitions to design fashion (she helped create a collection for ethical label People Tree last year) but may continue to model. The Burberry shoot was liberating because "it let people see me as something other than Hermione".
UPDATE JULY 24TH, 2011, From dailymail.co.uk July 23rd, 2011, "Harry Potter actress Emma Watson has proved a hit in front of the camera by modelling for Burberry, but now she wants to show off her skills as a fashion designer. The 21-year-old, who also plans to continue her studies at Oxford after cutting short her time at Brown University in America, has been taking fabric-cutting, design and sewing classes, I'm told. 'Emma wants to challenge herself creatively. 'She's obsessed with art at the moment,' says a mole. 'She's already designed a line of T-shirts and wants to expand her skills to create bespoke evening wear. 'She looks up to designers such as Georgina Chapman and Sarah Burton.'She has also been studying the work of Joan Miro to inspire her."
No comments:
Post a Comment