Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Emma Watson: The counter-productive "icon"

From Emma’s official facebook and Twitter accounts. Today March 22nd 2011 Facebook : "Hi everyone, hope you're all ok! It's all been a bit busy recently with the Lancome shoot in Paris and now my organic clothing collection with Alberta Ferretti, called Pure Threads, has been launched. You can see it on www.albertaferretti.com. Hope you like it! xx" Twitter : "My 'Pure Threads' collection with Alberta Ferretti has just been launched. Take a look on www.albertaferretti.com and see what you think! x" What this says to me is, "Hi everyone I just filmed commericals and posed for pictures in high end clothing and accessories with LANCOME that conducts animal testing but here is "MY" organic clothing collection because I believe in fair trade and I want to make a difference."

These few quotes below you may have read if you read the links I have posted. They fit with topic because like these statements with later hypocrite action so is this supporting fairtrade/organic clothing but pushing high end and their designers more. I could go on with alcohol and movie roles but you can find that stuff on my blog for yourself. I think there is a reason for all this and I'll give my opinion below.   

Speaking of Lancome from above to refresh your memory here is a quote from above link that is one of many hypocrisy moments I've shown you in this blog that comes to pass. When she states she is against something you end up seeing her do it.

From uk.msn.com November 18th 2010 'I can't understand this fragrance thing - why would you want to smell like somebody else? (She just did a commerical for lancome's "Midnight rose" fragrance) Don't you want to smell like yourself? I've always had a strong sense of self and my convictions... That's why I can't understand necessarily wanting to look or be somebody else. Why don't people want to be who they are?' From justjared.buzznet.com Feb 15th 2011 “It’s so exciting, I can’t wait to start shooting,” Emma shared. “Although I don’t wear much makeup (then why push something you don't believe in?), I’m a big fan of Lancome products, especially their mascara.” (and I could post many photos of her wearing loads of make-up)

Now onto this Organic clothing none sense

From dailymail.co.uk/ March 23rd 2011 She told MailOnline: 'I have worn [Alberta Ferretti's] dresses at many red carpet events so I was absolutely thrilled when she contacted me for this eco-friendly project. 'I immediately said yes and we started working together on an organic capsule clothing line inspired by natural fabrics and feminine shapes. 'I was very much involved in the design process and I really liked the organic raw materials that Alberta sourced. In particular the lace that I’ve used in all the pieces.' The actress has been vocal about her stance on fair trade clothing for years. 'Eco-fashion is very important to me,' she continued. 'I think it’s important to be conscious of what we are buying and where it comes from.'
The next question is who can afford these prices? They are geared to the rich but do you think the rich are going to buy this stuff? No way. They love high end fashion and loyal to their designers.Only 3 outfits?
Lace-trimmed top, as before and denim shorts, £220Black embroidered dress, £700Lace-trimmed top, £440, and long skirt, £570
1.) Lace-trimmed top, as before  and denim shorts, £220
2.) Black embroidered dress with ruched bodice, £700
3.) Pure Threads lace-trimmed top, £440, and long skirt, £570

From sugarcoveredquills.org/ Nov 2010 (Interview with woman's wear daily. Notice what she's wearing) "Perched delicately on a sofa sipping orange juice and wearing a tweedy Chanel jacket and elaborate necklace, skinny All Saints jeans and an impish smile, Watson looks more like the eager Brown University sophomore she is — albeit better dressed than most — than a girl confronting cinematic Armageddon. Watson credits her uniform-wearing cinematic incarnation with her current fashion-plate status, a journey that began with donning Chanel Couture for premieres at age 17 and continues to this day with her support of designers from Proenza Schouler to Christopher Kane, her appearances in a Burberry ad campaign and even an ethical fashion line she designs for People Tree."

From iheartwatson.net (Interview mag April 2009) “I don’t really buy designer stuff. I have a few nice things, but I don’t really have the occasion to wear couture too often. When I’m in a situation where I do need to dress up, I’m typically lent something—which means I have to give it back at midnight, like Cinderella.”
From dailymail.co.uk  This is a People tree interview but mark my words the bold face and underlined will happen and the second one already underway with her leavng People Tree after learning teh nehind the scene process to design with Alberta Ferretti and start to call what she designs "My line" like she already has.

You’ve done acting, modeling, and now you’re designing. Is this the future for Emma Watson? "Oh, I don’t have any plans to be a designer. I’m doing this range because I really care about fair-trade and ethical fashion. I’m so pleased that I got involved, but I don’t want to take all the credit for being the designer because I haven’t trained as a designer or even gone to art college – in fact, I had no idea about the amount of work involved at the outset." So this is not an Emma Watson clothing line? "I didn’t want this collection to be all about me. This is not a celebrity endorsement, it is about creating something that is genuinely a great idea and about making a difference through fashion."

Update June 2011

From dailyrecord.co.uk June 16th, 2011 Her fashion sense has helped her to become the face of Burberry, whose sales have boomed since. She said: "It's a huge compliment. It's amazing. I'm really surprised, to be honest." Emma has also become a designer in her own right, with her own range for fair trade fashion manufacturers. She added: "I love fashion and there are two more collections to come out"

No comments:

Post a Comment